Skip to main content

I make a lot of money but hate my career

i make a lot of money but hate my career

Imagine if from the moment you graduated college, you landed a plum corporate job that bht just enough to keep mkae motivated, but not enough to enjoy your freedom. This is the problem that plagues my friend, Lyndon. Lyndon just turned 30 and is having a mid-life crisis. All Lyndon ever thinks about is being a National Geographic nature photographer. Every single vacation is planned around some remote destination that takes two days to reach, and therefore another two days to return. Yet as a consultant, Lyndon is at the mercy of his clients. Instead of traveling to Mt.

I feel stuck. I took the test and I am burnt out. My wife quit work 3 years ago to stay at home with our four kids. Also, I am rooted firmly in Columbus. I need to find something where I get some kind of fulfillment. You make a lot of money from consulting because you sell them your soul — you have long hours and heavy travel and you have to criticize people all the time instead of build things with them. So, actually, it is pretty much cut-and-paste advice. The majority of men I coach for this problem end up switching jobs. So you are uncomfortable having to set aside work stuff and deal with the personal issue of pay cuts. Once you do that, you will have a really clear vision of what your next steps should be. Downsize my friend, just like the advice you probably gave several customers — downsize…. I think I have always linked money to be a somewhat of a personal choice, which is largely driven by professional choices. My kids would not get to be in some of the things they are in and we could not take vacations not that we go on extravagant vacations all the time….. Part of me thinks if I hold out more years, I can make Senior Manager and then if I can find something in market it will be at a salary that I can more easily stomach. I think I said the same thing about being a manager though. As you said, consulting steals your soul. Because I got into the Big 4 late, my peer group consists of some 27 year old managers with no wife, no kids and no travel restrictions. Other people deserve my time. I think at least now I have opened my search to a broader range of opportunities, but there is still a minimum salary I would consider to be local. I need to do some more work on my end to figure out what would make me happy and would allow me to provide for my family the way I want to. I am involved with my kids and my travel with this firm has not been as much as it was with my previous firm. I know one thing that I always think about is the archetype of my father. He was the blue collar guy that worked and was at all of the events he could be for me and my 6 other siblings.

Like What You’ve Read?

Every Sunday my stomach ties in knots and I dread the thought of going to work in the morning. Unfortunately, my golden handcuffs are firmly secure. Those suffering from Comfortable Misery run efficiently on autopilot. They go through the motions of completing their projects and emptying their in-baskets, while experiencing little joy, learning, or feeling of genuine satisfaction. Why do these talented professionals cling to the jobs they hate? There are lots of reasons:. If any of the above reasons resonate with you, you are suffering from a bonefide Comfortable Misery. This is a treatable syndrome, but only you have the power to cure yourself. She is an award-winning columnist for CareerJournal. Answer: How many of these statements apply to you? There are lots of reasons: The U. Americans continue to take this mindset to heart. Therefore, millions of workers define their work as a means of providing for their families and practicing productivity.

i make a lot of money but hate my career

Solutions To Lyndon’s Dilemma

Hating a job can cause you to disengage. Disengagement can cause you to have a lesser sense of well-being than someone who is unemployed, even if you are thriving financially, according to data gathered by Gallup. The key to dealing with a job you hate is to change your perspective. At this point, you’re bogged down in feelings of misery, and you can’t recognize the positives of your situation. Compare yourself to an unemployed person. At first, the thought of being released from the misery of your job may be exciting, but not when you consider the loss of your salary, too. Even though you hate your job, it’s better than the alternative — losing your income. Find ways to make your job more interesting or tolerable. Ask your boss for a flexible working arrangement that allows you to work from home one day a week or lets you compress a five-day workweek into four days so you can have a perpetual stream of long weekends. If you have time on your hands, analyze a situation in the workplace that could be improved and come up with possible solutions. Take your suggestions to your boss and ask to head up the project. A side project could reignite your interest in your work. Take advantage of your situation. Even though you hate your job, you have contacts. Network and search for other job opportunities, while still earning a healthy income. Create an online presence if you don’t have one. Start a discussion group for your industry powered by social media. Offer to do guest blog posts for websites that address issues of interest to you. Tackle your problems. Whatever it is that’s causing you grief, find a way to deal with it. For example, if your boss seems unhappy with your performance, make an appointment to speak with him and find out ways you can improve. You may be surprised at what you hear, and it may make a difference in your attitude toward your job. If you feel overwhelmed or turned off by certain tasks, ask a co-worker for assistance. Maybe she has tasks you can do in return. Plan fun outings and activities with your significant other, family or friends. Because you have a well-paying job, you probably have the ability to spend some of your cash on leisure activities. Plan an exciting weekend getaway once or twice a month. Or take up an interesting hobby that you can engage in after work. Get out of the office at lunch.

Get jobs targeted to you in your Twitter stream

Essay topics: Some people argue that it is more important to have an enjoyable job than to earn a lot of money. Others disagree and think that a good salary leads to a better life. Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience. Some people think i make a lot of money but hate my career the most important factor of working is how to earn a lot of money.

Others prefer human factors, where great value was given to each member of work individually, their safety, emotional condition and. Before I make a final conclusion let me discuss both sides of this issue. They are several reasons why good salary is dominant factor for selecting by employees.

To begin with, due to our psychology attitudes for everything has become more materialistic, that is why money factor is on the first plan. For example, several years ago for overtime at works employer paid by products or gave gifts, but nowadays, products and gifts turn into money. Because with money we can allow what we want, from buying necessary thing to brand and chic products. Therefore, money encourage employees to work harder. Thus, no business-no money.

In addition, I think, money have made from employees some kind of zombies, that forget everything in their life and focused only on money. I consider that, this kind of life is not so good for me. On the other hand, as regard to the salary view, job environment and circumstances are more important. I think to do some job, that could enjoy me, is better way to earn money.

Firstly, to make money and simultaneously enjoy from it is ideal variant for me. For instance, I do not do some thing, that I hate, my psychological condition and nervous system stay calm.

Moreover, doing something that I dislike, could change my attitude for this work, and I will make a lot of mistakes, my coefficient of efficiency will decrease abruptly. To sum up, there are convincing arguments to support my both opinions. I strongly feel that not money bu enjoyable job could make us happier, because our work has to valued not only in money equivalent but also in potential of creativity, skills, and other things, that can satisfy more than only money.

Sentence: I strongly feel that not money bu enjoyable job could make us happier, because our work has to valued not only in money equivalent but also in potential of creativity, skills, and other things, that can satisfy more than only money.

Description: The token to is not usually followed by a verb, past participle Suggestion: Refer to to and valued. Attribute Value Ideal Score: 6. Sentence Length: Some people argue that it is more important to have an enjoyable job than to earn a lot of money. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. Give reasons for your answer and inclu. Essay Categories:. Select rating Give Some people argue that it is more important to have an enjoyable job than to earn a lot of money.

Kansal 89 Read full essay 2 months 2 weeks ago Pamela K 56 Read full essay 2 months 2 weeks ago ali 56 Read full essay 3 months 1 week ago nododeisadze 73 Read full essay 3 months 3 weeks ago gies 78 Read full essay 4 months 4 weeks ago biraj bhandari 67 Read full essay 5 months 4 days ago ok. More essays by this user: Do you agree or disagree technology has made children life less creative than in the past. Discuss the advantages of each position.

Then indicate which position you think is best and why? Others think access to so much information creates problems. Which view do you agree with? Two business have closed as mayor for four years before Montoya, the unemployment rate decreased Technology has made children less creative than they were in the past. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Many drug traffickers have conse Description: The token to is not usually followed by a verb, past participle Suggestion: Refer to to and valued flaws: Number of Paragraphs: 7 5 not well organized. Read full essay. Pamela K.

i make a lot of money but hate my career
New here? You may want updates via email or RSS feed. Thanks for visiting! On Thursday, I featured a guest post from Free Money Finance that proved to be surprisingly controversial. His five steps to six figures in seven years offered solid common-sense career advice for those looking to boost their incomes. Many readers disliked the post. Though they didn’t hate it as much as FMF’s previous guest article. Though I don’t share all of your complaints, I do think some of you made an excellent point: Just as money is more about mind than it is about mathso too a rewarding career is more about personal fulfillment than it is about raking in big bucks. I’d rather be happy than rich. He’s hoping GRS readers can help him decide what to do:. I am 31, married, and have two young children. My wife is well respected in her field and has a good salary; she likes what she’s doing, and has opportunities for advancement. We have a pretty hefty mortgage, but it is totally manageable with our current income stream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

101 ways to make money in africa

Enter your mobile number or email address below and we’ll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer — no Kindle device required. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. Would you like to tell us about a lower price? Learn how to Find The Best Investment Opportunities makf Business Ideas That Work in Africa ‘ Ways To Make Money In Africa’ is the most detailed compilation of business ideas, on-the-ground facts, market intelligence, tips and advice for anyone who’s looking to start a business or invest in Africa. We wrote this book to show you the unbelievable business opportunities that exist in Africa and the amazing success stories that prove their viability and profitability. We wrote this book to spark your brain with innovative ideas that will make you money in Africa. If monfy looking for a rich source of big and small business ideas that work in Africa, this is the book you’ve been

How to make money on earnings reports

Earnings season is one of the most anticipated points during the financial year for the market. It refers to the months when quarterly reports are released—generally in January, April, July, and October. And with the hype of the season comes a slew of analyst expectations, forecasts, and results that beat or miss those expert analyses. Analysts use forecasting models, guidanceand other fundamentals in order to come up with an earnings per share EPS estimate. The market uses these estimates to determine how a company will perform when the earnings are released. For better or for worse, companies are judged by their ability to beat market expectations—all eyes are on whether companies «hit their numbers. Knowing the importance of those estimates can help investors manage through quarterly earnings results. But keep in mind, these are estimates, so they may never be consistent from one analyst to. That’s because one analyst may use different metrics to come up with his estimates compared

How much money did muhammad ali make a year

Muhammad Ali was a local legend in southwest MI. He owned an 85 Acre estate on just under a mile of the St. Joseph river. I currently live about 7 miles from the Ali home. When I was a kid, I think I may have been in first grade, maybe second, aroundMuhammad Ali came to our school during a large assembly for the yesr of the new gym that was built for tear school district. He talked and joked around with the kids and signed a couple boxing gloves that were given out to a student who won them in a drawing.